Chai is a centuries-old beverage which has played an important role in many cultures. According to Ayurvedic (Ancient Indian) philosophy and medicine, these spices are considered to be “sattvic” or calming, vitalizing and mentally clarifying – the perfect antidote to the stresses of modern life!
But chai tea is also an amazing ancient remedy for relieving colds, flues, sinusitis, sore throats, or low energy… Bonus: it’s tasty too!
- 20 basil leaves, crushed (or about 2 tbsp fresh or dried)
- 1 inch ginger root, grated
- 1 tsp black pepper, crushed
- 2-3 tbsp rice syrup, maple syrup, or palm sugar
- *cardamom, cinnamon, lemongrass, or black cumin to taste (*optional)
- 1-1.5 liters boiling water
Put all ingredients in a thermos or let steep in a pot for 1-2 hours. Drink it all within 3-5 days in a row, or until the symptoms have subsided.
Remember, creating a ritual is really anything that you do with intention. I like to sit with a cup of chai, set an intention (or saying a prayer, if that suits you), to come into the present moment. And then I just sip my tea while taking long, slow breaths… it’s amazing the comfort and clarity that comes from this simple ritual!